- This “Mac and Cheese” that really isn’t even Mac and Cheese at all. It’s quinoa. And it’s damn good.
- My socks. You would probably never guess it because, generally speaking, I’m a neat-freak and tend to care about my appearance most days. And I love buying and wearing clothes (well, that’s a dumb statement. Everyone loves wearing clothes or we’d be nudists. You know what I mean.) However, nearly every stinkin’ pair of socks I own has at least one hole in it. Some pairs have almost no sole at all because they’ve been worn threadbare. I don’t even care enough to be embarrassed. This, from a woman who lusts over boots and coats and handbags and CLOTHES(!!). My lust does not apply to socks. I used to love socks. I paid attention to socks. I had socks with polka dots, penguins, sheep, stripes, a map of the London Underground, polar bears – you name it, I had it on a pair of socks. Now, I hardly notice socks. Most of the time, I don’t even realize there are holes in them unless my too-long second toe pokes out of it. And even then…I need help.
- My job. I’m transitioning from a tech writing position into a marketing position at work, and I’m really excited about it. That’s all I’ll say about it here, but you know, it’s something that deserves a lil’ shout-out.
- My hair. I need it cut real bad, but sometimes I like to wait as long as I possibly can before I get a trim. It’s like I want to see how bad it can get, so when I get it cut, the transformation is that much more extreme. I dunno. I need help. Speaking of socks, In the meantime, I’ve been putting my hair in what’s called a “sock bun.” Have you ever heard of this? My husband was both appalled and dumbfounded I left with a sock in my hair. Check it out on my “Lookin’ Good” Pinterest board. While you’re there, follow me!
- My iPhone. I love it. I am completely obsessed. I’ve joined the hundreds of thousands of iSheep and I don’t care. It’s awesome.
- This Mac and Cheese. It’s another makeover that’s not even mac and cheese. It’s Rigatoni and Goat Cheese. It’s healthier. You’re going to love it!
- Quinoa. Quinoa doesn’t get nearly enough attention. You should make this dish and give quinoa the attention it deserves.
Quinoa "Mac and Cheese"
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 55 min
Keywords: bake saute entree side cheese quinoa
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med. onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup broccoli (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- green onions, chopped, for garnish
InstructionsAdapted from Monica Nelson Fitness
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in over medium heat in a saute pan.
Add the chopped onion and bell pepper (and broccoli, if using) and saute until softened, about five minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Add the quinoa and toast another minute or two.
Add 3 cups of water, then add salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
Bring the mixture to a steady simmer. Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Remove the quinoa from heat. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. Fold in quinoa and shredded cheese and stir until well mixed.
Transfer the quinoa mixture to a 13x9 dish coated with cooking spray.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until edges are just browned.
Powered by Recipage